It’s no secret that our skin changes as we move through the early stages of life, from childhood to our teen years, and then into young adulthood. It is less commonly known that even healthy skin continues to change as we move beyond young adulthood into the prime of life and that our skincare needs change along with our skin. That said, there are some skincare tips that are as important when you’re 55 as they were when you were 25. Would you be surprised to read that youthful, beautiful skin in every decade of life starts with good old fashioned healthy habits? It turns out that the basics of beautiful skin are the same at every age. Here are our favorite skincare tips for women and men from ages five to ninety-five:
1. In 2011, we shouldn’t have to say it, but if you smoke, quit. And if you spend a lot of time around secondhand smoke, stave off some of the damage with products containing antioxidants. These will neutralize the free-radicals that prematurely break down the skin’s collagen and impede its ability to heal.
2. Take a cue from the stars and wear big sunglasses with UV protection. Besides keeping irreversible sun damage at bay, sunglasses stop you from squinting – which can deepen wrinkles – and may even prevent cataracts.
3. Never, ever pick. As tempting as it can be to perform a little at-home surgery on that irritating blemish, keep your fingers away from your face. Popping a pimple can leave a scar that looks a lot like a wrinkle and may even result in an infection that does further damage to your skin.
4. Exfoliate weekly using a gentle chemical exfoliator designed for at-home use. Alternately, a series of microdermabrasion treatments can improve superficial skin problems and is one of the safest skin rejuvenation procedures available.
5. Stay hydrated! While your Brita isn’t a fountain of youth, taking care of yourself inside is a big part of fostering beauty on the outside. We also recommend getting plenty of sleep and reducing your stress levels.
6. Wear sunscreen. We mean every day, we mean plenty, and yes, even in the wintertime. Sun damage is the number one cause of premature aging because UV rays break down collagen and elastin.
7. Don’t neglect the rest of your body. We’re all a little guilty of focusing on the skin on our faces above all else, but did you know that many cases of malignant melanomas are found on people’s legs? Sunscreen and moisturizer are for more than just faces.
8. Cleanse with alpha hydroxy acids to remove dead skin, unclog pores, and leave your skin looking younger, fresher, and smoother.
9. Care for your skin like it’s the first day of the rest of your life, because it is. It’s never too late to begin taking good care of your skin. It’s also never too early to start! Don’t assume that you’re too young or too old for skincare to matter.
Want to learn more? In upcoming blog posts, we are going to discuss how skin changes as you age and how your skincare regimen should change as you celebrate your 20th, 30th, 40th, and 50th birthdays. Elizabeth Roche MD MedSpa believes in beauty at any age, and we’re looking forward to talking with you about how to achieve it.
Leave a reply